Drug addiction is an ugly thing, and the psychological components that go into it can be difficult to reconcile. The longer you’re addicted to a drug, the harder it becomes for you to stop using it. There are very few people who can tap into their willpower and just say no – without some form of support, most addicts will cling on to their habit for dear life.
Here are some of the most common problems that people face when they try to overcome their addiction on their own
1) Loss of Willpower – There comes a point in an addict’s road where they no longer have the willpower to fight against the compulsion to take drugs. When this happens, it can be almost impossible for them to contemplate stopping without help.
2) Withdrawal Symptoms – Once you start taking drugs regularly, your body builds up resistance and starts expecting drugs on a regular basis. If you suddenly stop taking the drug, your body will go into shock and demand that you give it what it needs (which is more drugs). Stopping cold turkey can lead to withdrawal symptoms like intense cravings, intense discomfort, depression, anxiety etc.
3) Recurrence – Most addicts have a history of failed attempts to quit drugs. They may have tried multiple times in the past but were unable to succeed because they felt uncomfortable and didn’t know how to cope with their withdrawal symptoms. This leads them to take more drugs, followed by more unsuccessful attempts at quitting – huge circles of addictive behaviour that can be difficult for some people to break out of since there is no support network.
All these reasons are why it’s highly recommended that you seek treatment from an addiction specialist who can help you come off drugs safely and effectively. However, most drug rehabilitation programmes are based on outdated theories about addiction that are not entirely effective for everyone.
This is where naturopathic medicine comes in handy, because it takes a holistic approach to addiction by addressing the changes in your mind, body and spirit when you try to kick the habit.
Here are some of the ways that naturopathy can help you overcome your drug problems
1) Support – A good naturopath will have extensive experience helping people come off drugs and alcohol . They will be able to offer loving support as you go through withdrawal symptoms , and provide a positive outlook on life which encourages you to build better habits from now on. This makes it easier for addicts to stop using drugs without falling back into old patterns again.
2) Change Your Mindset – When you take drugs or drink, your brain chemistry changes to accommodate the habit. So when you stop, your brain chemistry changes again which can lead to depressive symptoms. A good naturopath will have the necessary knowledge of how to modify this chemistry so that your cravings for drugs or alcohol are reduced, and you’re able to maintain a positive attitude about life without them.
3) Lifestyle Changes – Naturopathy looks at all aspects of your lifestyle, including diet , exercise , personal relationships etc., in order to get a better understanding of why you developed an addiction in the first place . Once they identify prevalent triggers, they’ll help you change these areas of your life so that it’s easier for you to stay clean long-term. This approach is very effective because most addicts rely on drugs to cope with their problems, and if you eliminate these triggers from your life it becomes a lot easier to live a sober lifestyle.
If you’re trying to overcome a drug addiction, or simply want guidance about how to best take care of yourself going forward, make sure that you find a naturopath whose philosophy aligns with your own . Ask them about what they know about each approach (psychology vs biology vs spirituality) so that you can make the right decision for your specific needs. This way you can kick your drug problem once and for all!
About the Authors
Society’s Voice advocates for Naturopathic treatments for a variety of physical and mental disabilities. Naturopathic medicine is a distinct system of primary health care that emphasizes prevention and the self-healing process through the use of natural therapies. We know that the efficacy of naturopathic medicine dates back to the 1890s, and are heartened to see naturopathic medicine undergo a rapid increase in public interest in recent years as a result of the growing consumer movement to solve the healthcare puzzle using prevention, wellness and respect for nature’s inherent healing ability.
Happily brought to you with the assistance of Mary Jane’s CBD Dispensary, the newest cbd nutrition online. If you’re looking for a hemp product to help with your health or mental condition, Mary Jane’s CBD Dispensary is the perfect place. They offer customers an alternative to pharmaceutical drugs and want you to feel better without having to take harmful meds. Their team members are extremely passionate about what they do at MJD and hope that by creating this blog post, they can share our passion with others too. Get in touch if you would like more information on any of their products!